Areas of Expertise: Countering WMD; Deterrence; Nuclear Policy; Iran; Middle East (Security & Policy / Persian Gulf Security)
Mr. Nima Gerami is Director of the Program for Emerging Leaders and a Research Fellow at the National Defense University’s Center for the Study of Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD Center) in Washington, DC. His research interests include Iranian foreign and security policy, WMD nonproliferation, and Persian Gulf security affairs.
Mr. Gerami is a regular course instructor at NDU and other senior service schools. From 2013 to 2014, he concurrently served as an adjunct fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy’s Iran Security Initiative. Prior to joining NDU, Mr. Gerami was a research assistant and editor in the Nuclear Policy Program at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. He has authored or co-authored multiple publications on Iran and nonproliferation issues, including “Leadership Divided? The Domestic Politics of Iran’s Nuclear Debate” (The Washington Institute, 2014), “Proliferation Risks of Civilian Nuclear Power Programs” (NDU, 2012), and “The IAEA’s Decision to Find Iran in Non-Compliance, 2002-2006” (NDU, 2012). He has also provided commentary and analysis for various major journals and media outlets, including Bloomberg, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, Foreign Policy, the Guardian, Jane’s Intelligence Review, the Jerusalem Post, and the New Republic.
Mr. Gerami holds a M.A. in Government from the Johns Hopkins University and B.A. degrees in Political Science and International Studies from the University of Connecticut.
- Nima Gerami, "Iran's Strategic Culture: Implications for Nuclear Policy," Book chapter in Crossing Nuclear Thresholds: Leveraging Sociocultural Insights into Nuclear Decisionmaking (Palgrave Macmillan, 2018).
- Nima Gerami, “Iran’s Widening Crackdown Pressures Rouhani,” PolicyWatch 2527, The Washington Institute, November 2015.
- Nima Gerami, “Iran Debates the IAEA Roadmap,” PolicyWatch 2467, The Washington Institute, August 2015.
- Nima Gerami, "Background on the 'Possible Military Dimensions' of Iran's Nuclear Program," PolicyWatch 2269, The Washington Institute, June 2014.
- Nima Gerami, "Political Chasm Deepens over Nuke Program," in The Iran Primer, May 2014.
- Nima Gerami, "Leadership Divided? The Domestic Politics of Iran's Nuclear Debate," Policy Focus 134, The Washington Institute, February 2014.
- Nima Gerami and Paul Goldschmidt, "The International Atomic Energy Agency's Decision to Find Iran in Non-Compliance, 2002-2006," CSWMD Case Study Series 6, December 2012.
- Paul I. Bernstein and Nima Gerami, “Proliferation Risks of Civilian Nuclear Power Programs,” WMD Proceedings, June 2012.
- Nima Gerami. "Nuclear Safety in Iran, Post-Fukushima," in Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, August 2011.