Areas of Expertise: Countering WMD; Nuclear Policy, Deterrence, Missile Defense, Russia and Eurasia
Mr. Paul I. Bernstein is a Senior Research Fellow at the National Defense University Center for the Study of Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD Center) in Washington, DC. He is engaged in policy support, research, and professional military education (PME) activities related to WMD, nuclear policy, deterrence, arms control, and regional security. His current work focuses on regional conflict and escalation, Russian strategy for coercion and war, cross-domain deterrence, and deterrence in PME. Mr. Bernstein has been an adviser to the Department of Defense Threat Reduction Advisory Committee (TRAC) and currently advises the Defense Science Board Task Force on Deterring, Preventing, and Responding to the Threat or Use of WMD. He is a frequent speaker at government and academic conferences, a regular guest instructor at senior war colleges and other PME venues, and has developed multiple curricula for nuclear and WMD instruction. He serves on the Board of Advisors of the Deterrence and Assurance Academic Alliance. Prior to joining NDU, Mr. Bernstein was Vice President and Senior Program Manager with Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) in McLean, VA, where he managed government-sponsored research programs and led strategic analysis projects. Mr. Bernstein is a member of the International Institute for Strategic Studies. He holds a Master’s Degree in International Affairs from Columbia University.
- Paul I. Bernstein, "Putin's Russia and U.S. Defense Strategy." CSWMD Workshop Report., September 2015.
- Paul I. Bernstein, “Rethinking Deterrence and Assurance.” NATO Defense College Conference Report, No. 04/15, September 2015. http://www.ndc.nato.int/research/research.php?icode=6. Also available as Wilton Park Conference Report 1401, https://www.wiltonpark.org.uk/reports/?theme=defence-and-security
- Paul I. Bernstein, “Ballistic Missile Defense in Europe: Getting to Yes with Moscow?” in The Future of Extended Deterrence in Europe, eds. von Hlatky and Wenger, Georgetown University Press, 2015
- Paul I. Bernstein, “Deterrence in Professional Military Education,” Air and Space Power Journal Volume 29, Issue 4 (July-August 2015), 84-88 (English and Chinese language versions).
- Paul I. Bernstein, “Post-Cold War U.S. Nuclear Strategy” and “The Emerging Nuclear Landscape,” in On Limited War in the 21st Century, eds. Larsen and Kartchner, Stanford University Press, 2014.
- Paul I. Bernstein and Nima Gerami, “Proliferation Risks of Civilian Nuclear Power Programs,” WMD Proceedings, June 2012.
- Paul I. Bernstein and Jason D. Wood, “The Origins of Nunn-Lugar and Cooperative Threat Reduction,” CSWMD Case Study Series 3, April 2010.
- Paul I. Bernstein, John P. Caves, Jr., and W. Seth Carus, “Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction: Looking Back, Looking Ahead,” CSWMD Occasional Paper, No. 7, October 2009