Sarah Jacobs Gamberini is a Policy Fellow at the National Defense University's Center for the Study of Weapons of Mass Destruction (CSWMD). Prior to joining CSWMD, she was a Senior Policy Analyst with Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) where she supported various WMD and arms control portfolios in the Department of Defense. She served as lead analyst for six Task Forces of the Defense Science Board including a study on deterring, preventing, and responding to WMD. Ms. Gamberini supported the Air Force Strategic Stability & CWMD office (AF/A10-S) and its legacy office, Air Force Strategic Plans and Policy Division (AF/A5XP), on Air Force implementation of and compliance with the Chemical Weapons Convention and the New START Treaty. Her portfolio also included research on a range of emerging issues for the Air Force including international space norms and non-strategic nuclear weapons. Ms. Gamberini supported the Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics (AT&L) Office of Treaty Compliance where she focused on landmines, cluster munitions, and lethal autonomous weapons systems. Prior to this she supported the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) on matters associated with the U.S.-Russia Cooperative Threat Reduction Program.
As an active member of the Center for Strategic and International Studies Project on Nuclear Issues (PONI) Mid-Career Cadre, she is dedicated to cultivating the next generation of nuclear experts. She served on the 2013 PONI Executive Steering Committee. Ms. Gamberini holds a Master of Arts degree in International Relations and Contemporary War from King’s College London and a Bachelor of Arts degree in International Studies and Arabic from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Gamberini, S.J., (2014) Non-Strategic Nuclear Weapons Arms Control: Key Challenges for the United States. In Project on Nuclear Issues: A Collection of Papers from the 2013 Conference Series. New York: Rowan & Littlefield.
- Gamberini, S.J., Anderson, J., & Conrad, W. (2014). International Space Negotiations, Emerging Space Powers, and U.S. Efforts to Protect the Military Use of Space. Space & Defense.
- Gamberini, S.J., Anderson, J., Vaughan, C. (2014). Non-Strategic Nuclear Weapons and Future Arms Control Negotiations: Issues for the Air Force. Air Force Emerging Issues Study.
- Jacobs, S., Anderson, J., & Conrad, W. (2012). Arms Control in the Third Space Age: Assessing International Efforts to Regulate Military Operations in Outer Space in the “3 C's” Era. Space & Defense.
- Jacobs, S., Anderson, J., & Conrad, W. (2011). Air Force Space Equities & Future International Space Agreements. Air Force Emerging Issues Study.
- Jacobs, S. (2010). Long Term Stability in Yemen Begins with Fixing Education. Center for American Progress.
- Jacobs, S., & Werz, M. (2010). Eternal Minorities? Turkish Politics and the Challenge of Diversity. Center for American Progress.