Areas of Expertise: Countering WMD; Nuclear Policy, Deterrence, Missile Defense, Regional Security, Professional Military Education
Paul I. Bernstein is a Distinguished Research Fellow at the Center for the Study of Weapons of Mass Destruction, National Defense University in Washington, DC, and a member of the university’s Research Faculty. He leads the Center’s practice in strategic security analysis, and is engaged in a range of policy support, research, and professional military education activities related to WMD, nuclear policy, deterrence, threat reduction, and regional security, and works in collaboration with the Office of the Secretary of Defense, Joint Staff, combatant commands and defense agencies. Mr. Bernstein has been an adviser to the Defense Science Board and the DoD Threat Reduction Advisory Committee, and is a contributing author of the Department of Defense Strategy for Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction. He is a regular guest instructor in the Capstone program, at senior war colleges, and at other professional military education venues. He has developed multiple curricula for nuclear and WMD instruction, and serves on the Board of Advisors of the Deterrence and Assurance Academic Alliance. He is author most recently of “Exploring the Requirements of Integrated Strategic Deterrence,” “Countering Russia’s Strategy for Regional Coercion and War,” “Making Russia Think Twice About Nuclear Threats,” and “Deterrence in Professional Military Education.”
- Paul I. Bernstein, "Exploring the Requirements of Integrated Strategic Deterrence," Workshop Report, National Defense University, August 2017.
- Paul I. Bernstein, "Countering Russia's Strategy for Regional Coercion and War," Workshop Report, National Defense University, March 2016.
- Paul I. Bernstein, "Putin's Russia and U.S. Defense Strategy." CSWMD Workshop Report., September 2015.
- Paul I. Bernstein, “Rethinking Deterrence and Assurance.” NATO Defense College Conference Report, No. 04/15, September 2015. http://www.ndc.nato.int/research/research.php?icode=6. Also available as Wilton Park Conference Report 1401, https://www.wiltonpark.org.uk/reports/?theme=defence-and-security
- Paul I. Bernstein, “Ballistic Missile Defense in Europe: Getting to Yes with Moscow?” in The Future of Extended Deterrence in Europe, eds. von Hlatky and Wenger, Georgetown University Press, 2015
- Paul I. Bernstein, “Deterrence in Professional Military Education,” Air and Space Power Journal Volume 29, Issue 4 (July-August 2015), 84-88 (English and Chinese language versions).
- Paul I. Bernstein, “Post-Cold War U.S. Nuclear Strategy” and “The Emerging Nuclear Landscape,” in On Limited War in the 21st Century, eds. Larsen and Kartchner, Stanford University Press, 2014.
- Paul I. Bernstein and Nima Gerami, “Proliferation Risks of Civilian Nuclear Power Programs,” WMD Proceedings, June 2012.
- Paul I. Bernstein and Jason D. Wood, “The Origins of Nunn-Lugar and Cooperative Threat Reduction,” CSWMD Case Study Series 3, April 2010.
- Paul I. Bernstein, John P. Caves, Jr., and W. Seth Carus, “Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction: Looking Back, Looking Ahead,” CSWMD Occasional Paper, No. 7, October 2009